Sunday, March 23, 2014

Stability

On Friday I taught my first Science lesson.  I planned a very interactive lesson in which students had to get up and explore balance and how force affects balance, using their own bodies (balance poses and people applying force from a different directions) and manipulatives (balancing objects with different bases and then using breath to test their stability).  After students had explored the idea of balance, base, stability and centre of gravity they had to create structures using a number of materials.  Their structure was then tested using two various weights.

I was nervous going into the lesson as there were a lot of concepts being explored and it involved great concentration and participation on the part of the students.  Our class is extremely active and I had prepared a back up lesson in case this one fell apart.  I was happily surprised by how well the lesson went over and how involved all of the students were.

However, upon reflection I realize that I was allowing my own fears of failure to overshadow my beliefs in what the students were able to do.  I was falling into the trap of underestimating my students due to my prejudices and lack of experience and time with them.  I am glad that I went forward with the lesson as planned and did not alter it based on my fears.  This experience was definitely a learning experience for me.


Samples of Student Work




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.